Systems Application Engineer (Propulsion) – all levels
Systems Application Engineer (Propulsion)
Competitive – dependent on experience
We currently have a number of technical opportunities for application engineers to join a dynamic application team that supplies, installs, tunes and tests hybrid-electric and full electric drive systems for public transport buses.
Exposure to the customer and end user, as well as working alongside like-minded engineers, makes this a unique opportunity for the right candidate.
- Our application engineers are responsible for performing Engineering Tests in support of system development, system integration and vehicle certification activities, including type approval for compliance with European Union regulations and directives.
- They ensure the vehicles are tuned for an optimal solution for fuel economy, emissions and driving performance.
- They are responsible for investigations into in-service equipment failures and testing to enable root cause to be understood.
- Our direct entry application engineers are given the opportunity to gain experience in the use of Automotive industry diagnostic tools, build their knowledge and understanding of Electric/Hybrid Electric Vehicles and powertrains and become familiar with Automotive industry standards.
- They are exposed to Systems Integration, formal report writing and in-the-field investigations and will be given the opportunity to use tools for data analysis and simulations.
- Our application engineers travel to support off-site testing at customers’ facilities around the UK, Europe or at our design centre in the USA.
- Minimum of a HNC or equivalent in a relevant technical/engineering subject
- Experienced applications engineers are able to demonstrate an understanding of Automotive industry diagnostic tools (CAN based communication tools e.g. Canalyzer) and their use. They have knowledge of Electric/Hybrid Electric Vehicles and powertrains and are familiar with Automotive industry standards (ISO, SAE, J1939 etc.). They are proficient in Systems Integration, formal report writing and in-the-field investigations and are competent in the use tools for data analysis and simulations such as Excel and Matlab.
- Our experienced engineers take responsibility and accountability for their technical work packages, budget and timescales and are key to the guidance, coaching and development of our less experienced engineers. They liaise with customers to solve technical issues, understand the design requirements, support strategic decision making and provide technical support to new business areas.
What we are looking for in you:
We value engineers who can operate effectively and cooperatively in both small and large teams, be able to communicate effectively across engineering disciplines and with those who are not engineers. We encourage you to plan your own work, be able to understand budget and schedule constraints, and accurately report progress right from the start and take control of these early in your career. Our engineers relish challenges, challenge others constructively, are proactive in looking for opportunities, demonstrate a positive attitude, support team members.
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, childcare vouchers, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world’s leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
We support a range of commercial and military platforms, including fixed and rotary wing aircraft, ground vehicles, human-machine interfaces and power management. Our systems operate in more than 100 countries with 25 air forces, 30 manufacturers and 280 airlines. Around 1,500 professionals work here, all focused on delivering innovation and outstanding customer responsiveness. We are a rapidly growing and successful part of one of the world's leading defence, security and aerospace companies.
We pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of. You’ll have the opportunity to work from concept to completion, giving you real ownership of projects. Whatever you do, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you're making a difference to people's lives.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Inspiring Work, Inspiring People
Engineers work to fit out various mechanical systems and components comprising: Read more
I have a great opportuniety for a junior / Mid level Naval Architect in the Southampton area to join... Read more
I am currently searching for a Senior Naval Architect for a key client of mine. Read more
We currently have a number of technical opportunities for application engineers to join a dynamic ap... Read more
This position is an interesting and varied role reporting to the Southern UK SIC and covers South Co... Read more