Breaking further into China
Becker’s Mewis Duct has proved successful on large ships operating below 18 knots
Becker Marine Systems, a leader in high-performance rudders and energy saving manoeuvring technology, is establishing itself as a competent partner on the Chinese market and now it’s looking to go even further.
The company has a close relationship with the Chinese shipyards including Dalian Shipyard and Industrial Cooperation (DSIC), Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding and Jiangsu New Yangzi Shipbuilding. Becker products are primarily needed for large container ships as well as for tankers and bulk carriers.
Henning Kuhlmann, managing director of Becker Marine Systems, said: “The trend towards an increased local presence in China is something we recognised early on and we are now reaping the fruits of our many years there. China has long since lost its status as an export-only market and should be treated as an equal partner.”
He pointed out that in the coming years the company would like to expand its market share in the country and will be relying on its detailed market knowledge and its three China offices to do so.
Becker Marine Systems will also be expanding in-house production and is planning to increase staff by approximately 20%.
Since 2003, the company has maintained an office in Shanghai where 12 employees handle sales and support for Becker products. The office in Nanjing was opened at around the same time and has a manufacturing agreement with Luzhou, a CSSC group company.
There have also been in-house manufacturing operations in Zhenjiang for the past two years. The subsidiary employs a staff of nearly 80 handling design and quality management in addition to manufacturing.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Research into alternative shipbuilding materials
- New battery pack system from Becker
- Hyundai Mipo gets DNL-GL feeder approval
- Becker reports smooth start for LNG cold ironing
- SMM focuses on the environment
- Wärtsilä and Becker optimise propulsion systems
- Stena introduces world's largest Superferry
- More efficient rudders for DP applications
- Measurement reduces rudder hysteresis
- Increased demand for rudder conversions
- Becker delivers its largest Mewis Duct
- First installation for intelligent monitoring system
- Becker announces healthy order book
- Gas-fuelled cold ironing for Hamburg
- LNG hybrid barge makes progress
- Hamburg’s hybrid barge
- Hamburg barge receives first gas container
- Becker barge to serve Hamburg LNG market
- Hamburg cruise ship gets barge powered
- Next chapter for Becker’s LNG barge
- Breaking further into China