Marine gear oil designed for thrusters operating in extreme conditions
ExxonMobil's latest synthetic marine lubricant is designed for gearboxes and thrusters operating in extreme conditions
ExxonMobil Marine Lubricants has introduced Mobilgear SHC MT 68, which the company says is a fully synthetic extreme pressure (EP) marine gear oil formulated to optimise the performance of equipment operating under extreme conditions.
The formulation is intended to resist micro-pitting while protecting marine thruster gear drives against conventional forms of wear and corrosion.
SHC MT 68 was developed to meet a market demand perceived by Mobil for a synthetic EP gear oil with excellent wear and corrosion protection, operability at both high and low temperatures and compatibility with standard gearbox seal materials. The oil has already gained approval from thruster manufacturer Brunvoll
SHC MT 68 uses synthetic base oils to which a proprietary combination of additives is added, which the company says is carefully balanced to minimise wear and enhance the performance of all critical gearbox components, including gears, bearings and seals.
Mobilgear SHC MT 68 is recommended for enclosed marine gear drives including steel-on-steel spur, helical and bevel gears operating at bulk oil temperatures up to 100°C. It is claimed to be particularly suitable for gear sets working under heavy or shock loads. The product meets or exceeds AGMA 9005-E02-EP, DIN 51517 CLP (Part 3) and ISO 12925-1 Type CKD.
“Today’s marine thrusters are operating under higher temperatures and under more stress,” says Shaara Blome, global marketing manager for ExxonMobil Marine Lubricants. “Mobilgear SHC MT 68’s balanced formulation is specially engineered to meet these challenges, helping our customers optimise equipment performance, reduce oil consumption, extend oil drain intervals and reduce maintenance costs.”
Mobilgear SHC MT 68 is supplied in five-gallon and 55-gallon containers and is available worldwide.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- ExxonMobil LNG collaboration
- Critical engine issues being missed, study finds
- ExxonMobil fires up new test engine
- Report on the future of cylinder oil lubrication
- ExxonMobil expands Hong Kong mass flow metering
- Marine gear oil designed for thrusters operating in extreme conditions
- Oil company and shipowners mark 50 years
- Overhaul interval extended beyond 42,500h
- Variable-sulphur oil from ExxonMobil
- Cylinder oil delivered in China by barge
- ExxonMobil launches cylinder oil to address cold corrosion
- US calls time on low-level pollution, mandates enviro-lubricants
- Fuel supplier issues guidelines for operators
- ExxonMobil expands offering
- ‘Round Table’ looks at cold corrosion
- ExxonMobil responds to ECA fuel challenge
- Operators, engine designers and oil suppliers join to examine cold corrosion
- Engine designer gives OK to BN100 cylinder oil
- Oil for low sulphur fuels from ExxonMobil
- Low sulphur fuels, ECAs and cylinder lubrication
- ExxonMobil hydraulic lubricants approved
- Lubes for EPA Tier 4 four-strokes
- ExxonMobil expands range of ECA fuels
- Costamare triples piston overhaul interval