Report on the future of cylinder oil lubrication
ExxonMobil has developed a report to examine the future of cylinder oil lubrication, in collaboration with the marine consultancy Fathom Maritime Intelligence.
The report also provides advice which aims to ensure that vessel operators can make an informed decision regarding their cylinder oil choices, both now and in the future.
Iain White, global marketing manager of marine fuels and lubricants at ExxonMobil, spoke at SMM in Hamburg where the report was launched.
He said: “We want to be able to give the best advice to our customers - choosing the best practices is still a complicated process.”
"The upcoming cut to the global marine fuel sulphur cap will once again mean further challenges for the industry in terms of the need to switch fuels, this adds to the complexity of cylinder oil selection.”
The report hopes to help operators understand how factors, such as environmental regulations, impact the selection of cylinder oil. As well as provide a service that gives the customer advice on optimising engine performance and reduced cost.
“Add in the growing influence of energy efficiency design index (EEDI) and NOx regulations and it is clear that vessel operation has never been more complex,” said Mr White.
The Impact of Regulation On Cylinder Oil Lubricant Selection report highlights the increased importance of initiating an effective monitoring programme, such as MobilGard Cylinder Condition Monitoring. This aims to provide an understanding of how the changing marine fuels landscape is affecting engine and oil performance.
Alison Jarabo, Fathom’s managing director, concluded: “Choosing the most suitable cylinder oil is increasingly complicated that is why we have collaborated the report.”
“By combining ExxonMobil’s lubricant expertise with our marine industry understanding we have been able to create a comprehensive document that can help vessel operators exploit our combined insights and knowhow.”
The report can be downloaded from the Fathom Maritime Intelligence website.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- ExxonMobil LNG collaboration
- Critical engine issues being missed, study finds
- ExxonMobil fires up new test engine
- Report on the future of cylinder oil lubrication
- ExxonMobil expands Hong Kong mass flow metering
- Marine gear oil designed for thrusters operating in extreme conditions
- Oil company and shipowners mark 50 years
- Overhaul interval extended beyond 42,500h
- Variable-sulphur oil from ExxonMobil
- Cylinder oil delivered in China by barge
- ExxonMobil launches cylinder oil to address cold corrosion
- US calls time on low-level pollution, mandates enviro-lubricants
- Fuel supplier issues guidelines for operators
- ExxonMobil expands offering
- ‘Round Table’ looks at cold corrosion
- ExxonMobil responds to ECA fuel challenge
- Operators, engine designers and oil suppliers join to examine cold corrosion
- Engine designer gives OK to BN100 cylinder oil
- Oil for low sulphur fuels from ExxonMobil
- Low sulphur fuels, ECAs and cylinder lubrication
- ExxonMobil hydraulic lubricants approved
- Lubes for EPA Tier 4 four-strokes
- ExxonMobil expands range of ECA fuels
- Costamare triples piston overhaul interval