Engine designer gives OK to BN100 cylinder oil
Iain White: “Mobilgard 5100 can effectively protect against costly cold corrosion issues”
ExxonMobil says that its Mobilgard 5100 BN100 cylinder lubricant has received an interim No Objection Letter (NOL) from Wärtsilä for use in engines in the RTA, RT-Flex and X-series engines running on HFO.
The preliminary approval follows successful completion of a 2,000 hour field test in a Wärtsilä 7RTFlex96C engine onboard a container ship, including extensive engine inspections and cylinder oil analysis. The company says that Mobilgard 5100 helped eliminate cold corrosion in the engine while operating at Wärtsilä’s minimum recommended feed rate of 0.8g/kWh.
ExxonMobil says that Mobilgard 5100 was developed in close collaboration with leading marine engine builders. It has been formulated to address the problem of cold corrosion which occurs when engine cylinder temperatures fall below the dew point of the combustion gases, creating the potential to cause significant liner wear. Tests have shown it to be effective at low feed rates.
The lubricant has already received a NOL from MAN Diesel & Turbo, and is the first 100BN oil to be included on Mitsubishi Heavy Industries’ list of recommended oils for the UEC engines. The company advises ship operators to use the oil in conjunction with onboard monitoring, such as its Mobilgard CCM programme. A recent upgrade to MobilGard CCM includes an onboard corrosion check kit which analyses the level of corroded iron salts in the scrape down oil sample, helping to identify liner wear rates due to corrosive wear.
“The interim No Objection Letter from Wärtsilä is a further indication of how Mobilgard 5100 can effectively protect against costly cold corrosion issues,” said Iain White, field marketing manager, ExxonMobil Marine Fuels & Lubricants.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- ExxonMobil LNG collaboration
- Critical engine issues being missed, study finds
- ExxonMobil fires up new test engine
- Report on the future of cylinder oil lubrication
- ExxonMobil expands Hong Kong mass flow metering
- Marine gear oil designed for thrusters operating in extreme conditions
- Oil company and shipowners mark 50 years
- Overhaul interval extended beyond 42,500h
- Variable-sulphur oil from ExxonMobil
- Cylinder oil delivered in China by barge
- ExxonMobil launches cylinder oil to address cold corrosion
- US calls time on low-level pollution, mandates enviro-lubricants
- Fuel supplier issues guidelines for operators
- ExxonMobil expands offering
- ‘Round Table’ looks at cold corrosion
- ExxonMobil responds to ECA fuel challenge
- Operators, engine designers and oil suppliers join to examine cold corrosion
- Engine designer gives OK to BN100 cylinder oil
- Oil for low sulphur fuels from ExxonMobil
- Low sulphur fuels, ECAs and cylinder lubrication
- ExxonMobil hydraulic lubricants approved
- Lubes for EPA Tier 4 four-strokes
- ExxonMobil expands range of ECA fuels
- Costamare triples piston overhaul interval