Hempel launches speed optimising antifouling coatings
Hempel’s Globic 9500M and Globic 9500S incorporate water-activated Nano acrylate technology
Two antifouling coatings designed to offer a potential 2.5% reduction in speed loss have been launched.
Hempel’s Globic 9500M and Globic 9500S incorporate water-activated Nano acrylate technology which provides immediate antifouling protection without the need for water friction.
The speed loss reduction equates to fuel savings and lower CO2 emissions, improving the operational efficiency of a vessel and minimising the operator's environmental footprint, said Hempel.
Henrik Dyrholm, global product manager at Hempel, said that Globic 9500M is designed for maintenance, “to protect against slime as well as soft and hard fouling in all conditions.”
He added that Globic 9500S is designed to manage static, “to protect against hard-fouling even during extended outfitting periods.”
The Nano acrylate technology uses nano capsules to control polishing. When seawater comes into contact with the nano capsules, it penetrates the hydrophobic outer shell.
The hydrophilic inner core chemically hydrolyses and then expands which breaks through the outer shell, enabling controlled polishing. Consistent self-polishing and a constantly thin leach layer ensure uniform biocide release over the entire docking interval.
The technology starts working as soon as the hull of vessel meets the water, providing full and immediate antifouling protection, said Hempel. This makes it highly efficient even for slow steaming and long idle periods, it added.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Hempel launches speed optimising antifouling coatings
- Material costs drive up Hempel paint prices
- Hempel epoxy coating
- Hempel expands Spanish R&D centre
- Vinashin goes with Hempel
- Cargo hold coating offers extended maintenance intervals
- Strip or seal?
- New hydrogel silicone coating guarantees fuel savings
- Award for fuel-saving paint
- Checklists reduced coating damge
- Faster docking procedure for vessels with silicone coatings
- New coatings factory in China
- Hempel to produce paint in Russia
- Hempel expands in India
- Hempel opens new factory in Argentina
- Antifouling aims to cut overall costs
- Hempel launches high-solids antifoulings
- Wide benefits claimed for new hull coating
- New coatings compete on operational benefits
- Protection in a sea of uncertainty
- Coating system combines foul release and biocide technologies
- Hempel epoxy coatings