Noble goes for second Globetrotter
Artist impression of Noble’s Globetrotter class drillship
South Korea’s STX Offshore & Shipbuilding is primed to build a second $550 million Huisman-designed Globetrotter class drillship after finalising a deal with rig contractor Noble Drilling.
The Noble Globetrotter II drillship is the second unit to be built for Switzerland-based Noble using a two phase process. The hull will be built by STX at its yard in Dalian, China, and will then be delivered to the Netherlands where Huisman will oversee the installation and commissioning of the topside equipment.
Operations are expected to start on this second unit in the second half of 2013 and on the first Noble Globetrotter in late 2011. Both units are contracted to work for Shell under 10-year terms in conjunction with Noble’s acquisition of Frontier Drilling.The newbuilding will measure 189m long and 32m wide and will use Huisman's multi-purpose tower design, capable of conducting both drilling and pipe assembly operations contemporaneously. The drillship will be capable of drilling to a vertical depth of over 12,000m and will feature DP-3 station-keeping ability, 18,000 tonnes of variable deck load, and accommodation for 180 people.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- STX to build bulkers for Turkish owner
- MISC names new chemical tanker
- Korea in partnership with UAE
- China shipbuilders gear up for LNG carrier orders
- STX and USC to build a new shipyard
- Noble goes for second Globetrotter
- STX linked to big container order
- STX order confirmed
- STX signs boxship deal with India
- STX Finland and USC in arctic shipbuilding jv
- Russian LNG order for STX
- STX wins new orders from Russia and Europe
- Cargotec secures ro-ro equipment orders
- Tidewater acquires STX OSV contracts
- New year launches for Sovcomflot
- STX lays keel for LNG carrier
- Teekay orders four LR2 product tankers from STX
- MAN G-types for Teekay
- Kongsberg wins offshore orders
- Vard reorganises Romanian operations
- STX secures US$578m contract
- Balpure BWMS for STX newbuilds