Shell launches stern tube fluid to comply with VGP
Shell has announced a new range of environmentally acceptable lubricants (EALs), including Shell Naturelle S4 Stern Tube Fluid 100 which it says will allow ships entering US waters to comply with the revised 2013 Vessel General Permit (VGP).
Naturelle S4 Stern Tube Fluid 100 uses a fully saturated ester base oil, which is claimed to offer the best resistance to hydrolysis (breakdown by water) and oxidation (oil ageing). As it is a non-emulsifying fluid, ship operators can drain any water from the stern tube system, preventing hydrolysis and biodegradation of the oil within the equipment.
Shell says that Naturelle S4 Stern Tube Fluid 100 has received approvals from OEMs including Aegir-Marine, Blohm & Voss (SKF), Kemel and Wärtsilä Propulsion.
In addition, Shell has launched a VGP-compliant range of gear oils, hydraulic oils, wire rope lubricant and greases, almost all of which its says have received EU Eco Label certification and OEM approvals.
“We are delighted to introduce our new Shell Naturelle range of EALs and give our customers the peace of mind that they can comply with these regulations when they enter US waters. We have also taken the choice to use the best available technology to better protect our customers’ equipment,” said Jan Toschka, general manager of Shell Marine Products.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Shell launches high BN cylinder lubricant
- Increase in oil condition monitoring
- SMP now available in 56 countries
- Shell Marine Products collaborates with Chinese university
- Bunker operations begin in Middle East
- Shell in biofuel joint venture
- Grease for extreme conditions at sea
- Shell and Wärtsilä promote LNG as fuel
- Shell launches first LNG barge
- Shell Marine targets Oman
- Drydocks World and Shell to cooperate in Dubai LNG fuel supply
- Two new high base number cylinder oils from Shell
- Rotterdam tug is first to use synthetic diesel
- New group targets 50 LNG ships by 2019
- Shell supports LNG bunkering in Rotterdam
- Two-stroke cylinder oil intended for ECA operation
- Low sulphur fuels, ECAs and cylinder lubrication
- Shell launches stern tube fluid to comply with VGP
- Shell delivers with LNG bunker vessel
- Shell lubricant advice
- Trial success for Silverstream air lubrication
- Wärtsilä DF engines for Shell LNG bunker vessel
- Shell reduces emissions with LNG OSV
- Shell expands lubricant and app availability