SKF to launch cryogenic bearing
Among a number of new products from Sweden's SKF Group is a new cryogenic bearing solution for LNG pumps, which the company says helps to increase flexibility and reliability in the handling of valuable cargo.
The bearings can be fitted with a new pump or supplied as an upgrade when replacing existing cryogenic bearings. They are manufactured from a specially heat treated variant of the SKF high nitrogen, tough stainless steel to enhance cryogenic temperature stability, hardness and fatigue resistance. The rolling elements of the bearings have no need for additional lubrication as they are lubricated by the LNG itself.
The bearings are among several solutions to increase marine efficiency and profitability which the company will be showcasing at Asia Pacific Maritime 2014 taking place this week in Singapore. Also on display will be the SKF Blohm + Voss Industries SC3 ring, described as the "next generation sealing ring" for SKF's Simplex-Compact Airspace stern tube seals which are better able to handle differences in pressure.
The sterntube seals themselves have been recognised as environmentally friendly under the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Vessel General Permit 2013 for use in US waters.
They separate water and oil from each other and allow the seal and the whole sterntube to continue to be lubricated with mineral oils without any oil escaping into the seawater.
SKF will also be exhibiting its OKCX shaft coupling and its online and fixed marine condition monitoring systems.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- SKF warning over counterfeit bearings
- GL and SKF develop machinery condition monitoring software
- SKF to open marine service centres
- Condition monitoring for thrusters
- Faster assembly for shrink fit components
- SKF kit to cut maintenance costs
- B+V components business goes to SKF
- New generation of sealing rings
- SKF to launch cryogenic bearing
- Sealing options for meeting VGP grow
- SKF Blohm + Voss launches at SMM
- SKF strikes Floatel service deal