STX Finland and USC in arctic shipbuilding jv
STX Finland yard in Helsinki
STX Finland and Russia’s United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC) have formed a joint venture company which will specialise in arctic shipbuilding technology.
An agreement for the formation of the new company, Arctech Helsinki Shipyard, was signed recently in St Petersburg in a meeting with the Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and the Finnish Prime Minister Mari Kiviniemi.
According to the agreement, both founding companies will hold equal shares of Arctech Helsinki Shipyard. The new company will purchase the Helsinki shipyard from STX Finland. The joint venture will focus on arctic maritime technology and shipbuilding and will unify the Russian and Finnish Maritime clusters. It will start building specialised vessels such as icebreakers and other ice-classed special ships.
The joint venture has an option to buy 20.4% of the shares of Aker Arctic Technology (AARC) from STX Finland. STX Finland will still remain the majority share holder of AARC, which is involved in arctic maritime technology research and development.
United Shipbuilding Corporation is the state owned Russian shipbuilding corporation, which was formed in 2007. The company has 42 shipyards in Russia with a focus on developing the Russian civilian and military shipbuilding industry. STX Finland belongs to the STX Europe group, comprising 15 yards in Finland, France, Norway, Romania, Brazil and Vietnam and about 16,000 employees.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- STX to build bulkers for Turkish owner
- MISC names new chemical tanker
- Korea in partnership with UAE
- China shipbuilders gear up for LNG carrier orders
- STX and USC to build a new shipyard
- Noble goes for second Globetrotter
- STX linked to big container order
- STX order confirmed
- STX signs boxship deal with India
- STX Finland and USC in arctic shipbuilding jv
- Russian LNG order for STX
- STX wins new orders from Russia and Europe
- Cargotec secures ro-ro equipment orders
- Tidewater acquires STX OSV contracts
- New year launches for Sovcomflot
- STX lays keel for LNG carrier
- Teekay orders four LR2 product tankers from STX
- MAN G-types for Teekay
- Kongsberg wins offshore orders
- Vard reorganises Romanian operations
- STX secures US$578m contract
- Balpure BWMS for STX newbuilds