Ecoship builder confirmed
With a builder now secured, Ecoship is due for completion in 2020
Japan’s Peace Boat cruise organisation says it will construct its unique Ecoship green concept cruise vessel with the Finnish shipbuilder Arctech.
Yoshioka Tatsuya, Peace Boat director and founder, Esko Mustamaki, CEO from Arctech and Jon Rysst, Regional Manager North Europe, from DNV GL, signed the letter of intent (LOI) for the build during the Nor Shipping exhibition.
Mr Taysuya said: "We believe this ship will be a game changer for the shipping industry and will contribute to the protection of the environment. It will be a flagship for climate change.”
“We are very happy to work together with a Finnish shipyard, and look forward to exploring clean and sustainable technologies with partners throughout this region, which is known for its environmental leadership”.”
Mr Mustamaki, from Arctech Helsinki Shipyard, added: “Ecoship will combine Arctech’s know-how in technically advanced and environmentally friendly vessels with the well-established expertise of the Finnish shipbuilding network in designing and building of high-class cruise vessels and other special products.
Peace Boat will no doubt benefit from Arctech’s experience in developing and applying technological innovations, including LNG propulsion, for the build.
A final contract for the 2,000-passenger and 750-cabin 60,000 gt vessel is expected to be signed shortly. The new ship is scheduled for delivery in spring 2020.
Ecoship, with its nature-inspired architectural design by Spanish company Oliver Design, will be the platform for Peace Boat’s round-the-world cruise carrying 6,000 people per year and serve as a floating sustainability laboratory contributing to research on the ocean, climate and green marine technology.
The ship also will create awareness and encourage active engagement with the challenges embodied in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Ecoship builder confirmed
- New ERRV for Russia
- Russian multi-purpose icebreaking PSV begins build in Finland
- New Arctech offshore vessel
- Arctech begins build of rescue vessel
- Arctech vessel delivered in advance
- Arctech gets Russian icebreaker order
- New Aker Arctic Oblique Icebreaker
- Arctech Helsinki shipyard buy-out
- Arctech wins government order
- Following a tough act
- Arctech new build for Sovcomflot
- Azipods for Finnish LNG-fuelled icebreaker
- Dual-fuel Wärtsilä power for icebreaker
- Linde LNG system for Finnish icebreaker
- Arctech secures Sovcomflot stand-by order
- Arctech Helsinki passes to Russian ownership
- Russian icebreaker launched at Arctech Helsinki
- Ice trial success for oblique icebreaker
- Icebreaker production starts in Helsinki