COMPAC bearings for US containerships
Aloha Class vessels will each feature a COMPAC bearing system
Thordon Bearings has signed a contract to supply COMPAC seawater-lubricated propeller shaft bearing solutions to two Jones Act containerships.
The containerships are currently under construction at the Aker Philadelphia Shipyard Inc. for the Matson Navigation Company.
“The new ships are the future for Hawaii shipping and will bring a new level of efficiency and effectiveness to our service,” said Matt Cox, president and CEO of Matson.
He added: “The substantial investment in new technology underscores Matson’s long-term commitment to Hawaii and our desire to serve the islands in the best, most environmentally friendly way into the future.”
This order represents the first large containership reference for the manufacturer and the largest commercial ship propeller shafts to be fitted with COMPAC bearings.
The 3600teu Aloha Class vessels will each feature a COMPAC bearing system for a 930mm diameter shafting driving an 8.1m diameter fixed pitch propeller.
David Marshall, Thordon Bearings senior regional manager, said: “This order is one of the most important commercial ship contracts we have ever received for the COMPAC solution. Not only does it provide us with a number of significant ‘firsts’ but it shows that liner companies trading in US waters are taking the new VGP rules very seriously.”
“Matson has become the first liner company to make the switch and it delivers confidence to the market that the seawater-lubrication is the only environmentally and commercially acceptable solution to operational oil pollution," he concluded.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Polar temperature bearings warning
- Thordon COMPAC for newbuild tanker
- New level for Thordon’s SeaThigor seal
- New oil leakage calculation tool
- Owners retrofit water lubricated bearings
- Long service from water-lubricated bearings
- Avoiding the slippery slope to lubricant pollution
- Canadian bearing company appoints new local distributor
- European area sales manager for bearing maker
- Water lubricated bearings for newbuilds
- CSL's newbuilds eliminate pollution
- New Thordon shaft seal
- Thordon boost for NAMJet units
- Sealing options for meeting VGP grow
- Seawater lubricated propeller shaft bearings
- Thordon Bearings and MSR Gryfia join forces
- Thordon Bearings questions use of EALs
- Thordon COMPAC propeller shaft order
- Alaska Ferry contract for Thordon Bearings
- Chinese windfall for Thordon Bearings
- Thordon Bearings secures MSC Cruises order
- Thordon takes Meriaura Coasters order
- Changes to shaft-bearing monitoring rules
- COMPAC bearings for US containerships