Corvus power for PSV hybridisation
The energy storage system will be utilised during all aspects of the PSV’s operation
Corvus Energy will supply battery power for the hybridisation of Farstad Shipping’s PSV 'Far Sun' in the second half of 2017.
The lithium ion based energy storage system, Orca ESS, will supply electrical power to the PSV’s propulsion system electrical network to enable environmentally-friendly and lower cost operations.
“As we have experienced with many vessel types, the Orca ESS is ideally suited for the hybridisation of the Far Sun PSV”, said Ronald Hansen, global service manager of Corvus Energy.
“Through close collaboration with Vard, our teams have developed a lean solution which meets the aggressive environmental, safety, performance and operating cost objectives of Farstad and Statoil.”
The energy storage system will be utilised during all aspects of the PSV’s operation, particularly during dynamic positioning and harbour operations where fuel consumption and emissions will be significantly reduced.
Equally important to Farstad and Statoil (which maintain a long-term charter for the PSV), the ESS will increase safety through provision of spinning reserve for improved response time as well as increased redundancy.
“The energy storage system will provide significant savings for Farstad and Statoil over time, enabling the ship to more efficiently utilise energy produced by the generators, as well as simplifying the use of shore power.”
This will substantially reduce consumption and emissions. Another effect is less noise from ships in port,” said Christian Søvik, VP global services, Vard Electro.
To date, Corvus has completed more than 80 marine installations utilising a Corvus ESS, totalling over 45MWh and 1 million operating hours.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Corvus power for PSV hybridisation
- Battery installation for Farstad PSV
- Corvus batteries for polar cruise vessels
- Corvus hybrid contract
- GE Power chooses Corvus energy storage
- New marine battery range from Corvus
- More hybrid power systems for Scandlines ferries
- Class approval for marine Li-Ion battery banks
- Hybrids – an answer to inefficiency
- Corvus storage for hybrid CNG ferry
- Energy storage for eco marine projects
- LNG ferry to convert to hybrid power
- Battery powered ferries report
- Corvus boosts Scandlines battery power
- Corvus conducts key battery safety test
- Corvus battery technology receives Statoil investment
- Proven feasibility for battery power