Assistant Harbour Master & Pilot
Assistant Harbour Master & Pilot
We’re the UK's largest ports operator with a network of 21 ports around Britain. We handle around one quarter of the UK's seaborne trade and contribute £7.5 billion to our economy every year. It’s a story we’re proud of but it doesn’t end there. We’re transforming our business and embracing the future. We offer a vast range of roles spanning the UK, all rooted in a culture that welcomes diversity, fosters talent, encourages internal movement and progression, and places safety as our number one priority.
We are currently recruiting for an Assistant Harbourmaster and Pilot at our Port in Barrow in Furness.
Our port at Barrow plays a key role in the offshore energy industry, and is the site of BAE Systems submarine facility. The Barrow port faces out to the Irish sea and is only 30 minutes away from the beautiful Lake District National Park, and has links to the M6 along with national rail links.
This position will consist of two main parts. The first is to support the Harbour Master, and the successful candidate will assist in fulfilling functions for all Statutory and Competent Harbour Authority responsibilities. The second part of this role involves providing pilotage duties and you be responsible for the safe and efficient conduct of navigation of vessels which request the services of an authorised pilot within the jurisdiction of Barrow. This will be on a rostered pilotage system.
Applicants should hold a valid seafarer’s qualification and possess relevant sea going experience. In return we offer a challenging and incredibly rewarding career with a comprehensive training programme and structured progression.
We reward our employees and offer a competitive remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits. Please note that security clearance will also be required for this position.
- Discharging the duties of a Pilot for the Competent Harbour Authority.
- Assist and support the Harbour Master / Deputy Harbour Master in co-ordinating all Marine Operations.
- Training & examination of Pilots & PEC holders.
- Liaise with customers, local authorities and government agencies.
- Train & develop the Boat’s crews.
- Produce risk assessments and safe systems of work and ensure all staff are familiar with their requirements.
- Undertake Statutory Harbour Master duties.
- Supervise Marine & Bridge staff.
- Monitor Conservancy Functions.
- Assist with the management of the port emergency, waste, O.P.R.C. and flood contingency plans.
- Develop and maintain marine SMS, associated procedures and risk management of the Marine functions.
- Oversee the general daily running of the Port’s marine activities.
- Assist with the ongoing management, development and training of team members.
Skills, experiences, qualifications and competencies
- STCW II/2 Certificate of Competency
- Experience in ship handling on various types of vessels.
- Knowledge of mandatory, regulatory and safety responsibilities relevant to the main duties.
- A flexible and committed approach to working within a small team that strives to provide a high quality Port and Marine service.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Pilotage experience desirable.
- Knowledge of Port Operations and Port Emergency Plans.
- BRM Training.
- Full UK Driving Licence.
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero-tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.
Our client is a global marine engineering prime and it is currently looking for 2 FEA Engineers to j... Read more
We’re the UK's largest ports operator with a network of 21 ports around Britain. We handle around on... Read more
To assess the design / production / in service aspects of engineering assets, using procedures, expe... Read more
Are you an enthusiastic and practically minded naval architecture graduate, passionately interested ... Read more
James Fisher and Sons Plc is a leading provider of innovative marine solutions and specialised engin... Read more