Chinese windfall for Thordon Bearings
Canada’s Thordon Bearings has received an order for a total of 20 seawater-lubricated COMPAC Propeller Shaft Bearing Systems for Chinese shipyards, the company’s most significant order for commercial vessels.
The specialist in advanced seawater-lubricated stern tube bearing systems, will supply COMPAC and Thordon Water Quality Packages for installation to various merchant and offshore newbuilds through 2015 and 2016.
Craig Carter, Thordon Bearings, said: “The magnitude of this order is indicative of a changing market. Traditionally, COMPAC’s core market has been cruise and naval ships, but we are seeing a marked increase in the number of quotes for seawater-lubricated systems from owners of merchant and offshore tonnage.”
The packages will be delivered to China’s GSI shipyard for installation to a 90,000dwt semi-submersible heavy transport vessel and three 50,000dwt bulk carriers. Huang Pu Wenchong Shipbuilding will receive COMPAC systems for three 50,000dwt semi-submersibles and four 36,000dwt bulk carriers.
Other orders include those for four AHTS vessels under construction at Dalian, a 2D seismic vessel and a 28,000dwt heavy-lift ship at Shanghai Shipyard, two bulk carriers entrusted to the Shanghaiguan Shipyard and a 12,800 bitumen tanker contracted to Qingshan.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Polar temperature bearings warning
- Thordon COMPAC for newbuild tanker
- New level for Thordon’s SeaThigor seal
- New oil leakage calculation tool
- Owners retrofit water lubricated bearings
- Long service from water-lubricated bearings
- Avoiding the slippery slope to lubricant pollution
- Canadian bearing company appoints new local distributor
- European area sales manager for bearing maker
- Water lubricated bearings for newbuilds
- CSL's newbuilds eliminate pollution
- New Thordon shaft seal
- Thordon boost for NAMJet units
- Sealing options for meeting VGP grow
- Seawater lubricated propeller shaft bearings
- Thordon Bearings and MSR Gryfia join forces
- Thordon Bearings questions use of EALs
- Thordon COMPAC propeller shaft order
- Alaska Ferry contract for Thordon Bearings
- Chinese windfall for Thordon Bearings
- Thordon Bearings secures MSC Cruises order
- Thordon takes Meriaura Coasters order
- Changes to shaft-bearing monitoring rules
- COMPAC bearings for US containerships