Costamare triples piston overhaul interval
Athens-based Costamare Shipping, with the help of ExxonMobil, has extended Cosco Yantian’s piston ring replacement period to more than 55,000 hours – a move that will help reduce costs and optimise vessel performance.
This was achieved by switching the container vessel to ExxonMobil’s Mobilgard 570 cylinder oil in combination with the MobilGard Cylinder Condition Monitoring (CCM) programme. The expected piston overhaul interval for the Cosco Yantian’s MAN Diesel & Turbo 12K98MC MK7 engine was 16,000 hours of unmonitored operation.
“Cosco Yantian’s piston overhaul intervals were extended by 250%, with wear measurements sitting well within acceptable parameters after more than 55,000 hours of operation,” said Iain White, field marketing manager, marine fuels and lubricants, ExxonMobil.
“By combining Mobilgard 570 with MobilGard CCM, Costamare Shipping was able to realise considerable financial benefits,” he added.
As a result of the switch, the piston ring replacement period was extended to more than 55,000 hours while liner wear rates were greatly improved compared with engine builder expectations. Costamare says this is particularly good since Cosco Yantian, which operates globally, had been slow steaming in the 10-40%load range, resulting in severe engine operating conditions.
Mobilgard 570 is a cylinder oil that has been designed with anti-wear properties to help extend piston ring and liner life. MobilGard CCM is said to help operators identify the most appropriate cylinder oil products, optimise engine feed rates and extend piston overhaul periods through a combination of on-board tests and full laboratory analysis to give real time and comprehensive data on cylinder operating conditions.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- ExxonMobil LNG collaboration
- Critical engine issues being missed, study finds
- ExxonMobil fires up new test engine
- Report on the future of cylinder oil lubrication
- ExxonMobil expands Hong Kong mass flow metering
- Marine gear oil designed for thrusters operating in extreme conditions
- Oil company and shipowners mark 50 years
- Overhaul interval extended beyond 42,500h
- Variable-sulphur oil from ExxonMobil
- Cylinder oil delivered in China by barge
- ExxonMobil launches cylinder oil to address cold corrosion
- US calls time on low-level pollution, mandates enviro-lubricants
- Fuel supplier issues guidelines for operators
- ExxonMobil expands offering
- ‘Round Table’ looks at cold corrosion
- ExxonMobil responds to ECA fuel challenge
- Operators, engine designers and oil suppliers join to examine cold corrosion
- Engine designer gives OK to BN100 cylinder oil
- Oil for low sulphur fuels from ExxonMobil
- Low sulphur fuels, ECAs and cylinder lubrication
- ExxonMobil hydraulic lubricants approved
- Lubes for EPA Tier 4 four-strokes
- ExxonMobil expands range of ECA fuels
- Costamare triples piston overhaul interval