Shell launches lubricants management system
Lubricants samples for testing. Image courtesy of Shell - Flickr
Shell Marine has launched a Marine Integrated Lubrication and Expert Solutions (MILES) programme to better manage its services.
As part of the programme Netherlands-headquartered Shell will combine purchasing options and services and plans to address digital disruption in the maritime sector.
“It is vital that Shell Marine is responsive to the challenges in the maritime industry where complexity and cost pressure is the new normal,” said Jan Toschka, Shell Marine executive director. “The flood of new regulations, changing engine technology, new fuels, efficiency pressures and increasing digitalisation means ship owners must adapt to thrive.”
Shell Marine said it is developing digital solutions utilising greater connectivity, artificial intelligence, machine learning and data science to optimise MILES.
It is also monitoring lubricant consumption and combining stock, purchasing and supply cost assessment with new services such as building recommendations for optimal volume/port lifting and delivery and payment options which may include flexi-pay or pay as you go schemes.
Later this year cylinder oil Shell Alexia 140 will be available at selected ports to addresses issues related to corrosive wear in some highly-tuned two-stroke engines. Deliveries of Shell Alexia 140 will be combined with Shell LubeMonitor service.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Shell launches high BN cylinder lubricant
- Increase in oil condition monitoring
- SMP now available in 56 countries
- Shell Marine Products collaborates with Chinese university
- Bunker operations begin in Middle East
- Shell in biofuel joint venture
- Grease for extreme conditions at sea
- Shell and Wärtsilä promote LNG as fuel
- Shell launches first LNG barge
- Shell Marine targets Oman
- Drydocks World and Shell to cooperate in Dubai LNG fuel supply
- Two new high base number cylinder oils from Shell
- Rotterdam tug is first to use synthetic diesel
- New group targets 50 LNG ships by 2019
- Shell supports LNG bunkering in Rotterdam
- Two-stroke cylinder oil intended for ECA operation
- Low sulphur fuels, ECAs and cylinder lubrication
- Shell launches stern tube fluid to comply with VGP
- Shell delivers with LNG bunker vessel
- Shell lubricant advice
- Trial success for Silverstream air lubrication
- Wärtsilä DF engines for Shell LNG bunker vessel
- Shell reduces emissions with LNG OSV
- Shell expands lubricant and app availability