Alfa Laval provides future fuel options
Alfa Laval Aalborg waste heat recovery system
Swedish engineering solutions company, Alfa Laval, is focusing on producing future fuel options for the shipping industry, following its ‘Saving energy and reducing CO2 emissions’ presentation at the SMM trade fair this month.
With international environmental regulations becoming more and more strict, the shipping industry is on the look out for fuel solutions to help reduce emissions. Alfa has developed a range of Aalborg waste heat recovery products which offer fuel savings and CO2 reductions when installed onboard a typical container ship.
The possible future fuel options for the industry include continuing with HFO and adding scrubbers, continuing with HFO and complementing with distillates (dual fuel) or blending fuel. The latest Alfa products spport these options and focus on multiple fuel management, blending fuels and exhaust gas scrubbing in order to comply with regulations.
Alfa is optimising the complete fuel treatment line with a new waste heat boiler, specifically designed for installation after the auxiliary engine. Taking excess energy from the main engine exhaust gas, the system converts it into electric power, reducing the vessels’ fuel consumption and emissions and allowing for overall greater system efficiency.
Elsewhere, Alfa recently launched the PureSOx System and the new PureDry centrifugal separator which is able to recover re-usable fuel oil from waste oil.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Alfa Laval AFEM mod saves fuel costs
- Alfa Laval HCO filter approved for validation testing
- PureSOx exhaust cleaning solutions for 12 DFDS ships
- Alfa Laval wins PureDry order
- Marine R&D enters a new era
- Test and training centre opens its doors in Denmark
- Finnlines works to reduce fleet emissions
- MAN solution proves its worth
- Boiler adds energy saving benefits to EGR
- Revamp for popular scrubber system
- Alfa Laval ups the pressure
- Class approval for PureSOx scrubbers
- Alfa Laval and DSME work on LNG solutions
- Alfa Laval installs tenth scrubber for Grimaldi
- MAN approves Alfa Laval for scrubbers
- Alfa Laval equipment for Petrofac vessel
- EGR economiser enhances waste heat recovery
- Alfa Laval provides future fuel options