Becker announces healthy order book
Becker's Mewis Duct
Hamburg-based Becker Marine Systems has announced a very good order intake during the past months, despite the current financial situation.
The latest contract is for high-performance rudders to equip five 18,000 teu container ships under construction for China Shipping Container Lines at Hyundai Heavy Industries in South Korea.
“This Chinese shipping company sets great store in the quality of the rudders,” said Becker MD Henning Kuhlmann, “Relevant towing tank tests conducted in Asia turned out positively in favour of our rudders.”
A further container ship order is for 11 twisted leading edge king support rudders (TLKSR®) for a class of 10,000 teu ships belonging to Seaspan Ship Management of Canada. Mr Kuhlmann understands that this order could be increased to a total or 20 or 25 shipsets. More similar orders are for four rudders for 9,400 teu MSC container ships and flap rudders for two Chinese-built AHTS vessels.
Earlier this year, Becker says that it clocked up the 500th order for its energy saving nozzle, the Mewis Duct, for a China-built vessel for Oldendorff Carriers of Lübeck. Since then several more orders have been placed:
- one Mewis Duct for an 81,000dwt bulk carrier for Great Eastern Shipping of India;
- four Mewis Ducts for 93,000dwt bulk carriers owned by D‘Amato of Italy;
- two Mewis Ducts for 37,500dwt ‘Seahorse bulk carriers for Nordic Hamburg Group; and
- two Mewis Ducts for 57,000dwt bulk carriers for Greek commpanyEF Shipping.
“Despite the difficult market environment with extreme price pressure for both shipyards and ship suppliers, we have already more than fulfilled our order planning for 2013,” said Mr Kuhlmann.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Research into alternative shipbuilding materials
- New battery pack system from Becker
- Hyundai Mipo gets DNL-GL feeder approval
- Becker reports smooth start for LNG cold ironing
- SMM focuses on the environment
- Wärtsilä and Becker optimise propulsion systems
- Stena introduces world's largest Superferry
- More efficient rudders for DP applications
- Measurement reduces rudder hysteresis
- Increased demand for rudder conversions
- Becker delivers its largest Mewis Duct
- First installation for intelligent monitoring system
- Becker announces healthy order book
- Gas-fuelled cold ironing for Hamburg
- LNG hybrid barge makes progress
- Hamburg’s hybrid barge
- Hamburg barge receives first gas container
- Becker barge to serve Hamburg LNG market
- Hamburg cruise ship gets barge powered
- Next chapter for Becker’s LNG barge
- Breaking further into China