Condition monitoring for thrusters
SKF has introduced an integrated condition-based maintenance (CBM) solution, known as SKF Thruster Monitoring, for propulsion and positioning thrusters in the marine and offshore industries.
“There is a clear desire and trend to integrate existing separate systems onboard a vessel. The SKF Thruster Monitoring solution combines all required information in one system, which can be integrated with both the thruster and ship management systems,” says Gerald Rolfe, SKF Marine executive business manager.
The system is applicable to both ship operators and thruster manufacturers, and for aftermarket and new build installations. SKF Thruster Monitoring can be used for all makes and types of tunnel and azimuthing thrusters across various sectors of the marine industry. It is based on SKF condition monitoring products and services, including on-line technology for vibration, lubricant and data monitoring. Services available include turnkey installation, commissioning, remote data analysis and reporting, as well as suggested reliability improvements based on the monitored results.
SKF Thruster Monitoring supports ship operators in achieving classification agency CBM requirements, as well as providing the basis for proactive maintenance and operational decisions based on actual thruster condition. Claimed benefits include extended class survey intervals, reduced need for dry-docking, reduced risk of failures and improved ship availability. The solution enables the end-user to operate the vessel with more thruster reliability and with greater profitability.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- SKF warning over counterfeit bearings
- GL and SKF develop machinery condition monitoring software
- SKF to open marine service centres
- Condition monitoring for thrusters
- Faster assembly for shrink fit components
- SKF kit to cut maintenance costs
- B+V components business goes to SKF
- New generation of sealing rings
- SKF to launch cryogenic bearing
- Sealing options for meeting VGP grow
- SKF Blohm + Voss launches at SMM
- SKF strikes Floatel service deal