First installation for intelligent monitoring system
Installation of BIMS on board the ‘Titania’
The first new Intelligent Monitoring System from Becker Marine of Germany (BIMS) has been installed on Wilhelmsen’s newbuild car carrier 'Titania'.
Becker describes BIMS as an innovative development to enhance capabilities of high-performance manoeuvring. The system monitors current forces and torque on the rudder while processing and storing the data in a computer unit. The unit can be integrated via standard interfaces into a vessel network to make rudder data available to any other connected system. BIMS provides an additional input to improve or refine navigation, positioning, performance control and load monitoring.
Becker says that analysis of the force and torque data during operation in the North Sea gave an interesting glace on the dynamics of manoeuvring and its complexity, considering seaway and vessel motion. It showed that standard prediction methods in general derived from steady conditions are somewhat limited. BIMS monitors actual conditions and applies optimum helm angles to maximise rudder force or minimise drag.
The system was developed by Becker Marine Systems in close cooperation with MAC System Solutions, with a version for dynamic positioning applications known as KBIMS developed in conjunction with Kongsberg Maritime.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Research into alternative shipbuilding materials
- New battery pack system from Becker
- Hyundai Mipo gets DNL-GL feeder approval
- Becker reports smooth start for LNG cold ironing
- SMM focuses on the environment
- Wärtsilä and Becker optimise propulsion systems
- Stena introduces world's largest Superferry
- More efficient rudders for DP applications
- Measurement reduces rudder hysteresis
- Increased demand for rudder conversions
- Becker delivers its largest Mewis Duct
- First installation for intelligent monitoring system
- Becker announces healthy order book
- Gas-fuelled cold ironing for Hamburg
- LNG hybrid barge makes progress
- Hamburg’s hybrid barge
- Hamburg barge receives first gas container
- Becker barge to serve Hamburg LNG market
- Hamburg cruise ship gets barge powered
- Next chapter for Becker’s LNG barge
- Breaking further into China