“K” Line achieves nearly 4% fuel saving

10 Apr 2014

ClassNK Napa Green, the operational optimisation software developed by Napa and ClassNK, has been reported to have achieved a fuel efficiency improvement of 3.9% onboard a “K” Line container ship.

The software solution was tested in full scale sea trials on an 8,000teu container ship operating on a standard Mediterranean/Europe route for Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha (“K” Line). The trials involved the full ClassNK-Napa Green suite of systems, including speed, trim, and voyage optimisation, which was analysed against the captain’s voyage plan. Despite encountering heavy weather on multiple occasions over the course of the voyage, speed profile and voyage optimisation reduced the fuel consumption by 2.7%, while a further 1.2% saving was attributed to optimum trim, taking the total reduction in fuel consumption from the trial to 3.9%.

While trim optimisation was restricted on the trial voyage due to loading conditions, results from a full-scale trim optimisation study, conducted during two Indian Ocean crossings by the same vessel, indicated that trim optimisation offers a possibility for further savings of a full 4%. 

In addition it was found that the accuracy of the Dynamic Performance Model – a self-learning component within the suite – was encouragingly high. In terms of fuel consumption prediction, 99.6% accuracy was achieved, claimed to be unprecedented in the industry.

Napa executive vice president Esa Henttinen said: “If “K” Line can save 4% in fuel costs for one vessel alone then the potential savings across its entire fleet is significant. Although software solutions to optimise fuel consumption are nothing new, the differentiating factor for ClassNK-Napa Green is the software’s dynamic performance model. Full-scale proven bunker cost saving are significant and feedback to ship designs will improve newbuilds further."

Other operators,such as Wan Hai Lines and Shoei Kisen, are achieving good results from using the software, while Finnish shipping operator Bore is installing the system on its ro-ro fleet, following successful trials onboard the 2,863 lane-metre ro-flex vessels Bore Sea and Bore Song, which achieved savings between 4% and 6%.

Links to related companies and recent articles ...

ClassNK

view more

Napa Ltd

view more