New level for Thordon’s SeaThigor seal
Thordon Bearings has unveiled a new robust shaft seal as part of its programme of enhancements underway to optimise its COMPAC seawater lubricated propeller shaft bearing system.
The new SeaThigor forward seal was revealed at SMM, it has a secondary seal module that provides a Safe-Return-To-Port capability in the event of a face failure of the primary seal.
Its design incorporates a pneumatically active inflatable element to stop water ingress along the shaft, allowing for the repair of the main seal while at sea or the shaft to turn at a lower speed to the vessel can safely return to port for primary seal repair or replacement.
Andy Edwards, Thordon Bearings’ commercial director, said: “The SeaThigor abrasion resistant sealing faces achieve dynamic sealing with leak and maintenance free operation.”
He added: “If there was ever a true fit-and-forget system, then SeaThigor is it.”
The SeaThigor aims to function as both a dynamic and static seal to provide water-tight integrity around a shaft, while allowing the propeller shaft to rotate in both directions across a range of shaft speeds.
It was approved during Lloyds Register Type Approval trials last year when two 443mm shaft diameter SeaThigor seals were tested simultaneously on the Thoron Marine Seal Test Rig in Canada.
After extensive testing, the Safe-Return-To-Port emergency seal showed no sign of wear after 15 days of use, it received LR and DNV-GL type approval this summer.
“Thoron Bearings will install the SeaThigor to an undisclosed vessel during a scheduled dry docking later this year,” said Mr Edwards.
“We are seeing a resurgence in the interest of seawater lubricated propeller shaft bearing systems and the SeaThigor is an important part of this.”
He concluded: “Market interest so far has been beyond expectation, with a number of commercial ship operators making tentative enquiries.”
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Polar temperature bearings warning
- Thordon COMPAC for newbuild tanker
- New level for Thordon’s SeaThigor seal
- New oil leakage calculation tool
- Owners retrofit water lubricated bearings
- Long service from water-lubricated bearings
- Avoiding the slippery slope to lubricant pollution
- Canadian bearing company appoints new local distributor
- European area sales manager for bearing maker
- Water lubricated bearings for newbuilds
- CSL's newbuilds eliminate pollution
- New Thordon shaft seal
- Thordon boost for NAMJet units
- Sealing options for meeting VGP grow
- Seawater lubricated propeller shaft bearings
- Thordon Bearings and MSR Gryfia join forces
- Thordon Bearings questions use of EALs
- Thordon COMPAC propeller shaft order
- Alaska Ferry contract for Thordon Bearings
- Chinese windfall for Thordon Bearings
- Thordon Bearings secures MSC Cruises order
- Thordon takes Meriaura Coasters order
- Changes to shaft-bearing monitoring rules
- COMPAC bearings for US containerships