Oil company and shipowners mark 50 years
ExxonMobil has been supplying lubricants to the Greek Group for 50 years
ExxonMobil Marine Lubricants and shipowning partnership the Greek Group have celebrated a 50-year business partnership, representing the oil company’s longest supply agreement with a marine customer organisation.
The Greek Group was established in 1961 when nine shipping family companies formed a fuel and lubricants purchasing group with Mobil Bunker Ltd., London. The original companies, organised as the Prometheus Group, were mainly from the island of Chios in the eastern Aegean sea and had settled in London during World War II.
Exxon Mobil Corporation has been serving the lubrication needs of the marine industry since the 1880s. Today, its global marine lubricants organisation claims to be the leading supplier of mineral and synthetic oils, and to provide technical expertise and service worldwide.
During the 50 years of the supply partnership between ExxonMobil and these family companies, the Greek Group has grown and now consists of 29 Greek shipping companies. ExxonMobil Marine Lubricants supplies about 250 vessels within these companies.
To celebrate this half-century of cooperation, Exxon Mobil’s UK marine lubricants department hosted a reception and dinner in June 2011. More than 80 guests attended the event, held at the Yacht Club of Greece in Athens. Among those taking part were sons, daughters and relatives of the original shipping families.
“A business relationship of this duration requires ongoing service and support,” said Ray Pomfret, global marine sales manager, ExxonMobil Marine Lubricants. “Our reputation for providing innovative technologies and ability to reliably supply a complete range of Mobilgard products in smaller ports where many members of the Greek Group trade has been key in cementing this long-term relationship. It has also been the foundation for the personal and business relationships that have set a new record for our company.”
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- ExxonMobil LNG collaboration
- Critical engine issues being missed, study finds
- ExxonMobil fires up new test engine
- Report on the future of cylinder oil lubrication
- ExxonMobil expands Hong Kong mass flow metering
- Marine gear oil designed for thrusters operating in extreme conditions
- Oil company and shipowners mark 50 years
- Overhaul interval extended beyond 42,500h
- Variable-sulphur oil from ExxonMobil
- Cylinder oil delivered in China by barge
- ExxonMobil launches cylinder oil to address cold corrosion
- US calls time on low-level pollution, mandates enviro-lubricants
- Fuel supplier issues guidelines for operators
- ExxonMobil expands offering
- ‘Round Table’ looks at cold corrosion
- ExxonMobil responds to ECA fuel challenge
- Operators, engine designers and oil suppliers join to examine cold corrosion
- Engine designer gives OK to BN100 cylinder oil
- Oil for low sulphur fuels from ExxonMobil
- Low sulphur fuels, ECAs and cylinder lubrication
- ExxonMobil hydraulic lubricants approved
- Lubes for EPA Tier 4 four-strokes
- ExxonMobil expands range of ECA fuels
- Costamare triples piston overhaul interval