Seawater lubricated propeller shaft bearings
The ‘Viking Star’ has a Thordon COMPAC tapered key bearing design with a shaft size of 464mm (18.268”)
The 47,800GT cruise ship, ‘Viking Star’, is one of three Viking Ocean Cruises’ newbuilds to opt for Thordon COMPAC seawater lubricated propeller shaft bearings over oil lubricated ones.
Viking Cruises said that the decision to equip the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard built Viking Star with these bearings was taken because it wants all of its newbuilds to present no risk of oil pollution in the case of bearing or seal failure.
“With the elimination of aft seal maintenance and no oil required, we are expecting considerable cost savings over the life of the vessels,” said Richard Goodwin, vice president-engineering, Viking Ocean Cruises.
Designed with the environment in mind, Viking’s ocean ships feature energy-efficient hybrid engines, hydro-dynamically optimised streamlined hulls and bows for maximum fuel efficiency, onboard solar panels, and equipment that minimises exhaust pollution.
The Viking Star has a Thordon COMPAC tapered key bearing design with a shaft size of 464mm (18.268”). This means that no complicated aft seal is required. Seawater is taken from the sea, pumped through the bearings, and returned back to the sea resulting in service maintenance costs, the elimination of storage, sampling, and disposal of oils, thus helping to ensure future compliance with any zero discharge legislation.
Canada's Thordon Bearings Inc. Is a leading manufacturer of water lubricated propeller shaft bearings, grease-free rudder and deck equipment bearings, seals and other shaftline products for the global marine market.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Polar temperature bearings warning
- Thordon COMPAC for newbuild tanker
- New level for Thordon’s SeaThigor seal
- New oil leakage calculation tool
- Owners retrofit water lubricated bearings
- Long service from water-lubricated bearings
- Avoiding the slippery slope to lubricant pollution
- Canadian bearing company appoints new local distributor
- European area sales manager for bearing maker
- Water lubricated bearings for newbuilds
- CSL's newbuilds eliminate pollution
- New Thordon shaft seal
- Thordon boost for NAMJet units
- Sealing options for meeting VGP grow
- Seawater lubricated propeller shaft bearings
- Thordon Bearings and MSR Gryfia join forces
- Thordon Bearings questions use of EALs
- Thordon COMPAC propeller shaft order
- Alaska Ferry contract for Thordon Bearings
- Chinese windfall for Thordon Bearings
- Thordon Bearings secures MSC Cruises order
- Thordon takes Meriaura Coasters order
- Changes to shaft-bearing monitoring rules
- COMPAC bearings for US containerships