Two-stroke cylinder oil intended for ECA operation
Shell says it now offers a complete suite of lubricants for all types of engines
Shell Marine Products (SMP) claims to have become first to the market with a two-stroke cylinder lubricant formulated specifically for the needs of ships operating in ECAs.
Shell Alexia S3 is aimed at large vessels with two-stroke engines entering into waters where the revised emission control area (ECA) regulations will come into force on 1 January 2015.
SMP says it now offers a complete suite of lubricants for all types of engines, Alexia S3 being the latest in the Alexia line of two-stroke engine oils. It is formulated for use with low sulphur and distillate fuels up to 0.5% sulphur. SMP also offers Shell Gadinia for medium-speed four-stroke engines and Shell Mysella, used in vessels with gas powered engines like Shell’s chartered barge Greenstream, the first 100% LNG-powered barge which operates along the Rhine.
"We are dedicated to providing our customers with the right solution, at the right place, at the right time," said Surinderdeep Singh, general manager of Shell Marine Products.
Mr Singh told The Motorship that both MAN Diesel & Turbo and Wärtsilä had issued 'no objection' letters in respect of Alexia S3.
Shell plans to make Alexia S3 available to customers in advance of the 1 January 2015 entry into force of the ECA sulphur limits, initially in major ports in some 22 countries including those in ECAs as well as ports where ships bound for ECAs may bunker or take on supplies of lubricants.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Shell launches high BN cylinder lubricant
- Increase in oil condition monitoring
- SMP now available in 56 countries
- Shell Marine Products collaborates with Chinese university
- Bunker operations begin in Middle East
- Shell in biofuel joint venture
- Grease for extreme conditions at sea
- Shell and Wärtsilä promote LNG as fuel
- Shell launches first LNG barge
- Shell Marine targets Oman
- Drydocks World and Shell to cooperate in Dubai LNG fuel supply
- Two new high base number cylinder oils from Shell
- Rotterdam tug is first to use synthetic diesel
- New group targets 50 LNG ships by 2019
- Shell supports LNG bunkering in Rotterdam
- Two-stroke cylinder oil intended for ECA operation
- Low sulphur fuels, ECAs and cylinder lubrication
- Shell launches stern tube fluid to comply with VGP
- Shell delivers with LNG bunker vessel
- Shell lubricant advice
- Trial success for Silverstream air lubrication
- Wärtsilä DF engines for Shell LNG bunker vessel
- Shell reduces emissions with LNG OSV
- Shell expands lubricant and app availability