Becker reports smooth start for LNG cold ironing
LNG Hybrid Barge in the port of Hamburg
Hybrid Port Energy, a subsidiary company of Becker Marine Systems, has reported that the Hummel LNG Hybrid Barge at the Port of Hamburg has been working effectively.
It has currently provided over eight hours of green electricity to the AIDAsol on its previous two layovers at the HafenCity terminal on 22 May and 23 June 2016.
Henning Kuhlmann, managing director of Becker Marine Systems, said: “Contrary to reports published elsewhere, Hummel is working smoothly and at full capacity.”
“We are extremely satisfied at our record of more than 40 MWh of power over the longest possible period from the morning to the evening, which is equivalent to an entire supply cycle for AIDAsol in Hamburg.”
By October 2016, the vessel would have called in at the HafenCity Terminal 15 times, receiving the environmentally-friendly power from the LNG Hybrid Barge in its layover each time.
Mr Kuhlmann explained: “The inflexible restrictions remain a source of annoyance. The fact that we are still speaking of a test phase despite all the progress we have made in just one year of operation has less to do with our technical capabilities and is more a result of the restrictions imposed on us.”
The alternative system of a landside power plant is currently being subjected to a general certification procedure according to the International Electronic Consortium standard, conducted by the classification society Bureau Veritas.
All components on the barge will now require another inspection together with AIDAsol before faultless power supply by the LNG Hybrid Barge can be certified.
“At the moment there are two different landside power supply systems available in Hamburg so it would be fantastic to see larger numbers of cruise ships converting to this modern technology and making a valuable contribution to improving the air quality at the Port of Hamburg,” Mr Kuhlmann concluded.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Research into alternative shipbuilding materials
- New battery pack system from Becker
- Hyundai Mipo gets DNL-GL feeder approval
- Becker reports smooth start for LNG cold ironing
- SMM focuses on the environment
- Wärtsilä and Becker optimise propulsion systems
- Stena introduces world's largest Superferry
- More efficient rudders for DP applications
- Measurement reduces rudder hysteresis
- Increased demand for rudder conversions
- Becker delivers its largest Mewis Duct
- First installation for intelligent monitoring system
- Becker announces healthy order book
- Gas-fuelled cold ironing for Hamburg
- LNG hybrid barge makes progress
- Hamburg’s hybrid barge
- Hamburg barge receives first gas container
- Becker barge to serve Hamburg LNG market
- Hamburg cruise ship gets barge powered
- Next chapter for Becker’s LNG barge
- Breaking further into China