Hamburg’s hybrid barge
The first test connection has been carried out with AIDA Cruise’s 'AIDAsol' cruise ship
The Port of Hamburg has finally got its environmentally friendly alternative for supplying power to cruise ships at berth – Becker Marine System’s floating LNG hybrid barge.
The barge, which has been christened the Hummel, or Bumblebee at Gasbrook Kai, will contribute towards making the air in Hamburg significantly cleaner.
As part of the vessel's recent christening, the first test connection was carried out with AIDA Cruise’s AIDAsol cruise ship. The plan is that at the beginning of the next cruise season beginning in Spring 2015, AIDAsol will become the first AIDA ship to be regularly serviced from its home port in Hamburg.
Use of the barge means that sulphur oxides and soot particles can be cut completely and the emission of nitrogen oxides will be lowered by up to 80% and carbon dioxide by an additional 30%.
The new barge is fitted with five gensets supplied by Zeppelin Power Systems totalling 7.5 MW for 50/60 Hz operating solely on LNG. Becker Marine said that these are the first marine classified LNG Caterpillar engines to be delivered to customers.
The LNG hybrid barge project between Becker Marine Systems and AIDA Cruises dates back two years. The 77m long barge made the three week long trip from the shipyard in Slovakia to have work and testing completed at the Blohm + Voss shipyard at the beginning of October. It arrived at its home port of Hamburg a week later.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Research into alternative shipbuilding materials
- New battery pack system from Becker
- Hyundai Mipo gets DNL-GL feeder approval
- Becker reports smooth start for LNG cold ironing
- SMM focuses on the environment
- Wärtsilä and Becker optimise propulsion systems
- Stena introduces world's largest Superferry
- More efficient rudders for DP applications
- Measurement reduces rudder hysteresis
- Increased demand for rudder conversions
- Becker delivers its largest Mewis Duct
- First installation for intelligent monitoring system
- Becker announces healthy order book
- Gas-fuelled cold ironing for Hamburg
- LNG hybrid barge makes progress
- Hamburg’s hybrid barge
- Hamburg barge receives first gas container
- Becker barge to serve Hamburg LNG market
- Hamburg cruise ship gets barge powered
- Next chapter for Becker’s LNG barge
- Breaking further into China