Energy-efficient LNG carrier delivered

‘Energy Horizon’ powered by a steam turbine coupled with an energy efficient heat recovery system ‘Energy Horizon’ powered by a steam turbine coupled with an energy efficient heat recovery system

NYK Line and Tokyo LNG Tanker, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tokyo Gas, recently held a naming ceremony for a jointly owned LNG carrier built at the Sakaide Shipyard of the Kawasaki Shipbuilding Corporation in Japan.

NYK Line and Tokyo LNG Tanker, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tokyo Gas, recently held a naming ceremony for a jointly owned LNG carrier built at the Sakaide Shipyard of the Kawasaki Shipbuilding Corporation in Japan.

The joint ownership of the 143,000gt newbuilding Energy Horizon is the second such venture between Tokyo LNG Tanker, which owns 10% of the vessel, and NYK, which owns the remaining 90%. The vessel is being chartered for 20 years and is used for shipments of LNG to Japan from various countries, including Australia.

The 300m long, 52m wide vessel is a large moss-type LNG carrier and has a tank capacity of 177,000m3 (cargo capacity: 175,000m3) which, the operators say, makes it possible to increase transport efficiency through economies of scale. In addition, the Energy Horizon is believed to be the first vessel to be equipped with a heat recovery turbine plant that transfers steam from the steam turbine back to the boiler and reheats it. The generated high-temperature steam is then sent back to the turbine which, the manufacturer claims, reduces fuel consumption by up to 15% over conventional steam turbine vessels.

LATEST PRESS RELEASES

Vickers Oils are pleased to welcome Ian Bower, Business Development Manager and Esther Murray

Vickers Oils are pleased to welcome Ian Bower, Business Development Manager and Esther Murray, Marke... Read more

SHAFT VIBRATION ELIMINATED WITH VESCONITE HILUBE

After replacing the all-rubber cutlass bearing of his new Jeanneau Sun Fast 35 Tide The Knot a frust... Read more

S/V BRYANA COMPLETES 30,000 NM WITH VESCONITE

A mid-ocean loss of steerage due to a faulty rudder bearing wasn't a scenario Luke Fisher wanted to ... Read more

Experts Highlight Viable Power and Propulsion Solutions for Next Generation Vessels

Lithium-ion battery expert Dr John Warner is presenting at the NEXT GENERATION Marine Power & Propul... Read more

AtZ add stabilizer repair and maintenance to their comprehensive portfolio of marine engineering solutions

Customers within the leisure cruise, naval and passenger ferry industries, are heavily reliant on co... Read more

Mercator Media upgrades magazines and conferences brands

February 2018 Fareham UK - Mercator Media Ltd, the international, market-leading B2B marine media bu... Read more

View all